Sunday, January 25, 2009

1.22.09


So my friend Sam likes to go to the bars some nights. As said before, I'm not a bar person. But I go cause what else is there to do in the Joe? Anywho, Sam doesn't seem to like crowded bars and getting hit on by a ton of guy. So where do we go? The gay bar.

Now the bar is appropriately (?) called The Shaft. Yes, The Shaft. Anywho, it was a Thursday night, which apparently is drag queen night. So there's lots of lady man ladies dancing to ridiculous club tracks and lip-syncing. This one in particular caught my eye as it was clearly an older fella and the picture makes him/her look particularly frightening. I guess even moreso because my flash caught some dudes forehead and not my intended subject (Damn you, Canon!). Fun fact - he lip-synced "It Takes Balls To Be A Woman." Who says tastefulness is dead?

But back to the subject at hand, it was fun. The emcee, a black man-lady who really, really likes being a woman, referred to me and Sam as well as the people next to us, one of whom was Sam's ex (which wasn't as awkward as it might seem), as the straight people. He encouraged us to dance. I encouraged myself to stay seated.

So, to answer your question, gay bars can actually be fun for straight folk. Especially in cities where you wouldn't expect that kind of stuff to be tolerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment